Welcome back to One Century Ago, a collaboration between Patch and the .
Each week we bring you the front page of a local newspaper that covered the news in Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow (North Tarrytown) one hundred years ago. This front page comes from the Tarrytown Press-Record. The Press-Record was published as a weekly from 1893 to 1946 and has been preserved by the on microfilm.
Friday, August 16, 1912:
Hit and Run Auto Accident
A young boy named James Jackman, from South Broadway, was knocked down by an unknown car while he rode his bicycle on Saturday afternoon.
Jackman was casually cycling home with a new tire slung over his shoulder when two cars drew up behind him. They were driving at a swift pace, and when one of them overtook Jackman the car drove too close and caught against the bicycle, throwing Jackman aside.
The auto sped on, leaving the boy lying unconscious in the road. Several passers-by ran to his aid, and two doctors were called. The doctors hurried to the scene and examined the boy, thinking at first that he may have internal injuries. However, it soon became clear that he had escaped with little more than some serious bruises.
Berry Rockwell Knocks Down Cyclist
Edward Nichols, a worker at the Wulff Engineering Company, was seriously injured in an unfortunate accident. Nichols had just left his home on Broadway and was cycling down the street behind a large truck belonging to the Gulf Refining Company. Berry Rockwell, from Hamilton Place, was driving his Maxwell auto up the road towards Nichols, but could not see the cyclist behind the truck. Rockwell let the truck pass and then turned off Broadway, accelerating to drive up Neperan Road. He hit Nichols full on and threw the rider violently to the ground.
Rockwell screeched to a halt and rushed over to the injured man. He picked him up, placed him in the car and rushed him to his house. After an examination the doctor declared that it was a case of concussion of the brain, and Nichols must be kept quiet at all costs.
Board of Trustees Discuss Village Issues
A meeting of the Tarrytown Board of Trustees was held on Tuesday evening. Messrs. Wulff, Thorne, Merriam, Spencer and Walker spoke to the board about the condition of Altamont Avenue and the possibility of opening it up as a public street. President Pierson replied that the Board was against this because of the trolley tracks there, and the fact that the street was not wide enough. President Pierson stated that the street needed to be widened to at least 50 feet, and that unless the gentlemen present could talk the other residents of that street into dedicating enough of their property to the expansion, there was nothing more to be done.
A letter was received from Col. R. C. Clowry complaining that the racket made by passing boats was extremely annoying to him and his neighbors. President Pierson wrote back to the Colonel saying that as far as he knew the Board had no jurisdiction in the matter, but that he had written to the local boat club asking their cooperation in reducing noise.
The North Tarrytown Board of Trustees meeting was attended by president Wirth and Trustees De Revere, Murphy, Babcock, Devlin and Kuntz. They addressed the issue of the imminent closure of Kendall Avenue, Andrews Place and Barnhart Avenue. Many people were anxious that this would negatively affect business, since merchants would not be able to deliver goods to that area. President Wirth referred the matter to the Street Committee.
Next Counsellor Morse spoke about the dreadful condition of the , and urged the Board to take immediate action compelling the water company to provide clean water. There was a very lengthy and heated discussion on the water question, but the end result was that President Wirth directed the Village Counsel to prepare a written statement about just how far the village could go to compel the Consolidated Water Company to furnish pure water. Evidently it would be a while before North Tarrytown were going to get clean drinking water.
To join as a member and support the preservation of the history of Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow, please click here: thehistoricalsociety.net/membership.