Mother's Day is the busiest day of the year for the restaurant industry so it’s advisable to make reservations as soon as possible. To help you find a place to take Mom on Sunday, May 13, we have compiled this Mother's Day Dining Guide 2012.
Check the eateries in Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow shown below for dining information. Reservations are absolutely essential; some restaurants are already sold out including Blue Hill at Stone Barns or have only limited times available. Inside seating at Sunset Cove is sold out. When a prix-fixe meal is described, the cost usually does not include tip or tax and in many case does not include soft beverages (exceptions are noted below). All phone numbers shown are for area code 914.
Bistro Z (DoubleTree). A Mother's Day champagne buffet brunch is being offered. The cost is $38 for adults (same cost as last year), half-price for young adults and children under 8 are free. 524-6410. www.bistrozny.com
- Omelets/breads: fresh eggs, cholesterol‐free Egg Beaters or egg whites made to order with shredded cheese, mushrooms, bacon, ham, onions, tomatoes, red and green bell peppers, pastries, muffins, breads and rolls
- Raw bar/starters: crab bisque, jumbo shrimp, oysters and clams served with traditional cocktail sauce, horseradish, mignonette and tabasco, salads, goat cheese, cheese blintzes, fruit, nuts, honey
- Entrees: sliced petite filet of beef with pearl onions and Shitake mushrooms, horseradish glazed salmon, penne pasta with roasted plum tomatoes and sweet basil cream. Sides: truffle mashed potatoes, green beans, carrots and cauliflower
- Kids buffet: chicken fingers, French fries, carrot and celery sticks and desserts
- Dessert buffet: dark and white chocolate “rivers” with cakes, pies, cookies, brownies, assorted pastries, fresh fruit, marshmallows, pretzels, Rice Krispy treats and candy.
Blue Hill at Stone Barns. 366-9600. Not only is the restaurant fully booked for lunch and dinner, the waiting list is full too. The five-course lunch costs $135. www.bluehillfarm.com
631-1863. Mom will get a rose on Mother's Day and her dessert order will be accompanied by a free glass of port. Hours of operation will be 12:30 to 9 p.m. Entree selections typically come with black beans, rice and vegetables. See following list of entrees to be offered.
- Seafood: soft-shell crab with lemon caper sauce, pan roasted red snapper, pan seared Chilean sea bass, grilled Atlantic salmon with port wine and raison sauce, branzini with celery root and white grapes, signature-dish Mariscada seafood stew (lobster, clams, mussels, shrimp, swordfish and monkfish with red or green sauce)
- Meat: roast rack of lamb, veal stew with shallots and wine sauce, grilled filet mignon with wild mushrooms and red wine sauce, roast suckling pig served on the bone, chicken cutlet
- Pasta: artisanal spinach pasta with piquillo peppers and Brussels sprouts
The appetizers include baked stuffed clams, sauteed shrimp Lisboetta (scampi), mushrooms in port wine sauce, and melon prosciutto. Special on the beverage list is a popular Brazilian cocktail called caipirinha made with sugar cane rum.
Chiboust. 703-6550. The bistro's brunch includes traditional egg dishes, small plate choices, entrees, salads and lots of luscious desserts. A partial list of the menu items follows:
- Brunch egg menu. Brioche French toast with maple syrup, poached eggs with gravlax or smoked ham on croissant with hollandaise sauce, scrambled eggs with bacon and potatoes, Quiche Lorranine with bacon and Gruyere and mixed field greens, frittata of potato, spinach and Asiago cheese. Egg menu items are typically priced at $14.
- Sides. Country Applewood bacon ($5), cheddar cheese grits ($5) rhubarb strawberry compote ($4), basket of pastries ($8)
- Entrees. Shellfish Bouillabase ($28), Roast Spring Amish chicken breast ($25), roasted fennel stuffed eggplant ($25), hangar steak ($28)
Small plates include Gorgonzola stuffed dates and steamed mussels ($8 and up). A large variety of salads such as grilled octopus and beet/fig goat cheese mousse ($12 and up) is also available. www.chiboust.com
Demeter’s Tavern & Sports Bar. 631-9679. Will be closed on Mother’s Day. (Demeter’s is open on Sundays only during the NFL football season.) www.demeterssportsbar.com
Equus. 631-1980. A four-course, prix-fixe tasting meal will be served at $85 per person. The menu offerings follow.
- Appetizer. King crab cake plus ten kinds of seasonal vegetables
- Fish course. Pan seared red snaper with sauce jus de persil, mussels flavor, scallion and artichoke
- Main course. Choice of roasted organic chicken breast with spring potato puree, black Angus tenderloin with five spring vegetables, or black Angus tenderloin "Rossini" with saute de fois gras, sauce perigueux and truffle essence (a $15 surcharge applies for this dish)
- Desserts. Warm chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and raspberry tart
- Beverage. Coffee, decaffeinated coffee or tea
A 20-percent gratuity will be automatically added to the bill. www.castleonthehudson.com
(at the Westchester Marriott). 631-2200. The Mother's Day buffet will include starters, salads, a carving station, a children's corner, many entrees and a Viennese dessert table. Dishes available include:
- Chef-prepared. Garlic and thyme infused prime rib with roasted shallot demi, honey and soy glazed pork loin with cranberry-apricot chutney, eggs and omelets custom prepared to order
- Chef specials. Applewood smoked crispy bacon, juicy pork sausage links, braised Moroccan lamb stew, fresh grilled salmon, fried chicken, penne pasta with shrimp and scallops in Asiago cream sauce
- Children's corner. Macaroni and cheese, chicken fingers, curly fries
The cost is $37 per adult (same as last year) and $15 for children aged 6 to 10. Seating at 1, 3 and 5 p.m.
Isabela's. 332-1992. Will be open all day beginning at noon. The regular menu will be available plus numerous specials. www.isabellabistro.com
Some of the dishes available use ingredients such as cheeses, exotic dried fruits, nuts and include savory salads, imported meats and sandwiches.
Ruth's Chris Steak House (Marriott). 631-3311.
Three-course, prix-fixe menus at $40.95 and $49.95 will be available on Mother's Day. Ruth's Chris is open from 1 to 9 p.m. on the 13th. www.ruthschris.com
SB&G (Formerly Rioja at Tarrytown Sheraton). The regular menu plus specials will be served. www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton
Silver Tips. 332 8515. A “Special Afternoon Tea,” prix-fixed, is scheduled. The regular menu will not be offered. A gift for each mom is planned. Artisanal breads and assorted tea sandwiches will be offered. The sandwiches include: a "smokey egg" salad, turkey with cranberry, tuna with sweet relish, salmon mousse and more including vegetarian options. Also on the menu: petite scone with crème, preserves, desserts and a choice of selected teas, hot and iced. The prix-fixe cost is $32 per person including tax and gratuity. Reservations are a must. Four seatings are available: 10:30 a.m., 12.30 p.m., 2.30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Email: email@example.com
Sol Mar. 333-0151. Will serve its regular menu. www.solmartarrytown.com
Striped Bass. 366-4455. A special prix-fixe, three-course Mother's Day menu will be served. The list of entrees:
- Pan roasted Atlantic salmon with lemon mustard glaze
- Boneless breast of organic chicken with feta cheese and spinach
- Casserole with flounder, diver scallops, shrimp and bread topping
- Spring rack of lamb
- Maryland jumbo crab cakes with remoulade and bell pepper puree sauce
- Kansas City black Angus sirloin with frizzled onions
- Potato crusted Chilean seabass
- Broiled seafood assortment including one-half lobster (additional $5.90)
- Seafood linguini with shrimp, diver scallops and lobster meat
- Lobstermania (additional $6.90)
- Surf and turf with three jumbo stuffed shrimp
- Striped Bass Imperial with jumbo lump crab souffle stuffing
The above items are priced at $38.90 (unless otherwise noted); the cost includes choice of soup, salad or appetizer, vegetables and potatoes with main course, dessert and beverage. www.stripedbassny.com
Sunset Cove (at the Washington Irving Boat Club). 366-7889. Outdoors seating for the brunch buffet will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Indoors seating for brunch is fully booked. For outside-table patrons, the prix-fixe cost is $35 for adults and $20 for children aged 5 to 12, plus tax and tip. Service is from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. www.sunsetcove.net
Swagat. 332-5544. All-you-can-eat lunch Indian buffet: 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dinner: 5 to 9:30 p.m. www.swagatrestaurant.com
Sweetgrass Grill. 631-0000. The regular menu will be available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dishes offered include scrambled eggs with cheddar ($8), spinach, mushroom and goat cheese omelet ($12), crab cakes Benedict ($15), steak and eggs ($18), citrus goat cheese salad ($10), buttermilk buckwheat pancakes ($10), brioche French toast ($12), black bean and mushroom burger with goat cheese ($13), grass-fed burger ($12). www.sweetgrassgrill.com
Tarry Tavern. 631-7227. Will be open for brunch and dinner on Mother's Day. Moms will receive a rose. A special dessert, strawberry rhubarb tart, will be offered. Has "Market" and "Tavern" menus. Both regular menus will be available plus specials and wine by the bottle or Quartino (250 ml) beginning at $8. www.tarrytavern.com
Sleepy Hollow Restaurants
Bridge View Tavern. 332-0078. Check with the restaurant for availability on Mother's Day. Sold out in advance last year. www.bridgeviewtavern.com
909-4787. Will be open from 5 to 9:30 p.m. with seatings scheduled for 6 and 8 p.m. The regular menu will be served plus specials including Wellfleet oysters on the half shell, soft shell crab, filet mignon, and veal chops.
J.P. Doyle's. 631-3015. A special three-course, prix-fixe menu (appetizer, soup or salad, main course and dessert) will be served from 1 to 7 p.m. www.jpdoylesrestaurant.com
Moon River Grill. 909-5377. Brunch will be served to 3 p.m. and will include steak and eggs, a three-egg omelet, Eggs Benedict, French toast and breakfast burrito. The regular dinner menu will be available from noon to 9 p.m. Menu choices include Maine lobster, salmon, tuna, shrimp scampi, shell steak, pork chop, rack of babyback ribs, fish and chips, chicken breast and linguini with mussels or clams in red or white sauce. www.moonrivergrill.net
Que Chula es Puebla. 332-0072. On Mother's Day, each mom will receive a rose and a free dessert. Adults accompanying who order an entree will receive a free pineapple tequila. Kids receive a free churros (a Mexican fried pastry) every Sunday. The regular menu will be available from noon to 10 p.m. www.quechulaespueblarestaurant.com
524-5003. Will serve its regular menu from noon to 9:30 p.m. Specialties include Tiger Cries (grilled flank steak), Kai Yang (grilled chicken), Goong Grob (crispy jumbo shrimp), Pong Pang Talay (mixed seafood), and Three Lovers (sauteed shrimp, chicken, pork, baby corn, cauliflower and broccoli in garlic sauce). www.tyryndathai.com
332-7788. The regular menu will be available from 1:30 to 10:15 p.m.