Patch's MOTHER'S DAY DINING GUIDE
Choices abound for eating out on Mother's Day, the busiest day of the year for the restaurant industry. To help you find the right place to take mom on May 8, we have compiled a Mother's Day Dining Guide.
Check the eateries in Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow shown below for helpful information on dining on Sunday. Reservations are essential and some restaurants may have specific seating times. When a prix-fixe dinner is described, the cost does not include tip or tax and usually does not include beverages. All phone numbers shown for for area code 914.
- Omelets/breads: fresh eggs, cholesterol‐free Egg Beaters or egg whites made to order with shredded cheese, mushrooms, bacon, ham, onions, tomatoes, red and green bell peppers, pastries, muffins, scones, coffee cakes, crusty breads and rolls
- Raw bar/starters: jumbo shrimp, oysters and clams served with traditional cocktail sauce, horseradish or mignonette and tabasco, soup, salad, cheeses, fried fruit, nuts, honey
- Entrees: carved New York strip loin, braised lamb, sesame ginger glazed chicken breast, crusted snapper filet, four cheese tortellini
- Kids buffet: chicken fingers, dipping sauces, curly French fries, beef sliders, mac and cheese, caesar salad, General Tso’s chicken
- Dessert buffet: chocolate dipped strawberries, mini parfait shots (crème caramel, chocolate oreo, cherry vanilla), assorted cakes, pies, cookies, pastries and fresh fruit
Blue Hill at Stone Barns. 366-9600. The restaurant is fully booked but has a waiting list. A five-course lunch starting at 11:30 a.m. costs $125 and an eight-course meal is also offered after 4 p.m. at $135. www.bluehillfarm.com
631-1863. Mom will get a rose on Mother's Day and her dessert order will be accompanied by a free glass of port. Hours of operation will be 12:30 to 9 p.m. Entree selections typically include black beans, rice and vegetables. See following list of entrees to be offered.
- Seafood: pan roasted red snapper, pan seared Chilean sea bass, grilled Atlantic salmon with port wine and raison sauce, branzini with celery root and white grapes, Mariscada seafood stew (lobster, clams, mussels, shrimp, swordfish and monkfish with red or green sauce)
- Meat: roast rack of lamb, veal stew with shallots and wine sauce, grilled filet mignon with wild mushrooms and red wine sauce, roast suckling pig served on the bone, chicken cutlet
- Pasta: artisanal spinach pasta with piquillo peppers and Brussels sprouts
Chiboust. 703-6550. Brunch will include brioche French toast with fruit compote, poached eggs with gravlax or smoked ham on croissant with hollandaise sauce, scrambled eggs with bacon and potatoes, frittata with mesclun greens and omelets typically priced at $14 and up. Many small plates and specials are also available. Bloody Mary, Mimosa or Kir Royale: $9. Brunch is served from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. The bakery opens at 10 a.m. Dinner is available to 9 p.m. www.chiboust.com
- Appetizers: select from Chevre tortellini with ramps and mushrooms, white asparagus with Surryano ham and poached egg, potato onion soup, salmon tartar, spring lettuce with Berkshire blue cheese, crispy pork belly with walnut salad or Maryland crab cake
- Main courses: choice of roast locally harvested vegetables, open crab ravioli, chicken with smoked bacon, sea bass with English and snap peas, beef sirloin or roasted lamb loin
- Desserts: honey yogurt panna cotta, lemon raspberry curd, strawberry and rhubarb gelee, warm chocolate cake or chocolate banana walnut bread pudding with rum crunch gelato.
631-2200. The Mother's Day buffet will include starters, salads, a carving station for turkey breast and salmon, a children's corner and many entrees such as Beef Bordelaise, grilled mahi-mahi and blackened Cajun chicken breast. A Viennese table will offer a bevy of desserts. Cost: $37 per adult, $15 for children from 6 to 12, no charge for children under 6. Seating at 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m.
Ruth's Chris Steak House (Marriott). Three-course, prix-fixe menus at $42.95 and $49.95 will be available on Mother's Day. The $42.95 entrees are stuffed chicken and crab cakes. The $49.95 entrees are rib eye steak, filet mignon, veal chop and tuna with shrimp. Lobster tails will be offered a la carte at $26 each and Maine lobster is offered at $25 per pound. Although usually open on Sunday from 4 to 9 p.m., Ruth's Chris will be open from 1 to 9 p.m. on Mother's Day. 631-3311. www.ruthschris.com
Sunset Cove (at the Washington Irving Boat Club). Outdoors seating for the brunch buffet will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Indoors seating for brunch is fully booked. For outside-table patrons, the prix-fixe cost is $25 for adults and $15 for children plus tax and tip. Service is from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. 366-7889. www.sunsetcove.net
Sleepy Hollow Restaurants
909-4787. Seatings are scheduled for 1, 3:30 and 6 p.m. The regular menu plus specials will be served.
Moon River Grill. 909-5377. Specials to include crab cakes, rack of lamb, filet mignon and lobster ravioli plus the regular dinner menu will be available from noon to 9 p.m. Menu choices include Maine lobster, salmon, tuna, shrimp scampi, shell steak, pork chop, rack of babyback ribs, fish and chips, chicken breast and linguini with mussels or clams in red or white sauce. www.moonrivergrill.net
Que Chula es Puebla. 332-0072. On Mother's Day, each mom will receive a rose and a free passion margarita. Adults accompanying mom who order an entree will receive a free pineapple tequila. The regular menu will be available from noon to 10 p.m. www.quechulaespueblarestaurant.com
. 332-7788. The regular menu will be available from 1 to 10 p.m.