Headed out to the mall or the box store on Black Friday? Here are five quick tips to a hassle-free shopping experience.
- Maximize shopping efficiency! Create a shopping list a) ahead of time and b) broken down by individual category—like toys or home goods—by store or by person.
- Shopping all night and then all day? Take breaks in between to maintain stamina and avoid being overwhelmed by mobs. Find someplace to try from our food and dining listings by clicking on "Places" in the menu bar on the local Patch homepage.
- Prevent pickpockets: carry your purse or wallet close to your body, inside your coat or front pants pockets.
- Prevent identity theft: prevent over-the-shoulder info-surfing by taking out your credit card or checkbook only when asked. Save receipts to see if your credit card information was compromised. Pay the old- or new-school way instead of by credit card. Use cash, money orders or gift cards.
- Keep all that new stuff safe! Don't buy more than you can carry. Lock packages in the trunk and take them home. Never leave them visible through your car windows.
- Upload your photos of your shopping experience here or on our Hudson Valley Patch Facebook page.
(Don't stop here! Prep for Small Business Saturday with our countdown clock, on your Patch homepage).
T.J. Raphael contributed to this report.