Shelters open, facilities offer help as thousands of citizens remain in the dark.
What at first might have felt like an adventure for some, has grown old fast. The nights are getting colder, the days shorter and Con Edison's restoration time is "pending" on the 3,300 or so customers without light or heat.
Last night, the Community Opportunity Center opened its doors as a 24-7 warming shelter with all the amenities you'd need to get get fed, get rest, stay warm and informed. Read the full article on this here.
The YMCA offered its locker rooms and showers to anyone in need, and you don't have to be a member. More on this and other local offerings here.
Have something to offer? Need volunteers? What do you need right now and how can we help? Please share in the comments.
For nonemergency help, you can contact our local police departments:
- Tarrytown Police: 631-5544
- Sleepy Hollow Police: 631-0800
If you have an emergency, dial 911. For general information throughout the county you can also call 211.
Road closures and power outages
As intrepid commuters find a way to get to work, despite no Metro-North through Tarrytown, others continue to stay home.
. Things in Sleepy Hollow are relatively the same as when we last heard from Police Chief Gregory Camp on Tuesday.
For a map of local Con Edison outages click here. There are about 3,300 customers out on Thursday morning. Read more on this here.
Con Edison lists restoration time as "pending" only. Note also that number of customers does not denote number of citizens, as each household is measured as one "customer." So the numbers affected here are certainly much greater.
Cancellations and rain dates
- School Closures: check Patch here for updates. School is open Thursday for TUFSD, save for pre-k. Washington Irving students are going to Morse and Elementary students have a two-hour delay. Pocantico district residents can check the web site for updates: www.pocanticohills.org; school is again closed here.
- Trick or Treating in both Village has been postponed until Friday.
- The Tarrytown Board of Trustees Work Session scheduled for Tuesday, October 30th, has been rescheduleld for Monday, November 5, 2012 at 7 p.m.
- Phelps Farmers Market on Thursday has been postponed until next Thursday.
There is normal trash pick up today and alternate side parking in effect.
Do you know of an event cancellation? Or is your event still on and you'd like people to know about it? Please add it to the comment section attached to this article and update the event in our free Patch calendar to notify the community.
Patch's full storm coverage
- Continue to contribute your photos and videos to our storm gallery here.
- Halloween Safety tips from Con Edison.
- Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown postpone trick-or-treating until Friday.
- Food Safety Tips for those without power.
- Bee-Line Bus Service resumes Wednesday.
- Police: Yonkers motorist dies on Sprain.
- Chat about all things Sandy here, ask questions, share info.
- Sleepy Hollow: Damages Tally
- Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow Clean Up Sandy.
- Sleepy Hollow declares 'Emergency.'