its way into Westchester and folks around the region are adjusting to the hot temperatures.
In Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow today, the National Weather Service is predicting temps to reach 98 degrees today. The heat index will top 100–making if feel like a whopping 104 degrees.
There is currently a heat advisory in effect for 10591, due to the high heat and humidity, according to the NWS. An air quality alert is in effect through 11:00 p.m. in Westchester.
Tarrytown Police Chief Scott Brown said there have been no heat-related incidents in the village or inquiries about a cooling station. There are two cooling stations, one per village, with air conditioning and the requisite water. Tarrytown has offered the , available until 9 p.m. On Beekman, you can go to the second floor of until 8 p.m.
Here are some extreme heat safety tips from the National Weather Service and FEMA:
- Schedule strenuous, outdoor activities for early morning or late evening hours when the temps are cooler.
- Be aware of the symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Limit alcohol consumption and caffeine consumption.
- Wear lightweight and loose fitting clothes.
- Keep blinds closed and/or curtains drawn to keep the home cooler.
- If you work outdoors, take frequent breaks indoors or in the shade to cool down.
- Be sure to check on elderly neighbors.
- Keep pets hydrated and in the shade/AC.
- Do NOT leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles.
- If you are overcome by heat or suffering from heat stroke, call 911 immediately.