Though one resident reported being told by officials they would have to kick in doors if necessary, luckily it didn't come to that.
Following a residential report of a gas odor in the Crest neighborhood, which had already suffered great downed lines and power outages following Hurricane Sandy, emergency responders had to investigate numerous homes. Tarrytown officers reported that 22 residences (most on Barnes Road and several on Kerwin Road) were checked to find the source of the leak with no forced entry having to be made on any of them.
On Nov. 6 at 9:44 a.m., Fire Control requested Tarrytown Fire Department to respond to Barnes Road for a gas odor. Officers on scene reported that Con Edison said they needed to make inspections of the interior of numerous residences on the street to check for a possible gas emergency.
An incident command post was established between Con Ed, the Fire Department, and the Police Department at Barnes Road and Kerwin Place. After investigation, the gas leak was discovered in the roadway by Con Ed, in front of 69 Barnes Road. Emergency vehicles cleared and Con Edison would remain on the scene to fix the problem.