Colder weather often means more fire alarms. Case in point: the Sleepy Hollow Fire Department recently responded to a host of calls for everything from burnt milk to bonfires.
On Nov. 22 at 2:32 p.m., a Beekman Avenue caller reported a stove fire in their apartment. The full fire response was sent and reported burnt food on the stove.
On Nov. 23 at 1 p.m., a Bellwood Avenue caller requested the fire department for a small brush fire. Officers there reported the fire was put out.
On Nov. 23 at 5:27 p.m., a Palmer Avenue resident reported a fire in front of a neighbor’s residence. Sleepy Hollow Police reported the fire was put out using an extinguisher. Police reported the fire was apparently from a cardboard pizza box left in a fire pit/grill. No violations were found by the fire department. Police said no one answered the door at the residence for police to notify. Officers spoke with the caller who said she would tell the homeowner what happened.
On Nov. 24 at 3:47 p.m., police were informed that Philipse Manor Beach Club had some sort of bonfire starting. The Fire Chief said he would inform them that weather conditions, namely high wind, would cause this to be unsafe.
On Nov. 25 at 4:40 p.m., county control dispatched the Fire Department to apartments above the Santorini restaurant on Valley Street. Officers reported that burnt milk in a pot on the stove set off the alarm. Firefighters ventilated the apartment for smoke and cleared the scene.