Homeowners with a tree landing on their house or Striped Bass, now closed for major flood-surge damage renovations until March, should appreciate this act of lenience from local government:
The village of Tarrytown has proposed waiving building permit fees for work associated with recovery from Hurricane Sandy's wrath.
The Board will hold a public hearing on the matter on Monday, Dec. 17 at 8 p.m. at Village Hall, One Depot Plaza.
Here's the full notice from the town clerk, Carol Booth:
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the Board of Trustees of the Village of Tarrytown will hold a public hearing on the 17th day of December, 2012, at 8 PM in the Municipal Building, One Depot Plaza, Tarrytown, New York 10591 to hear, discuss and to act upon proposed amendment to the Code of the Village of Tarrytown, by adding a new Chapter to waive Building Department fees for repairs to structures from Hurricane Sandy. A summary of the legislation is available at Village Hall.
The complete text of this legislation follows:
A LOCAL LAW to amend the Code of the Village of Tarrytown to create a new Chapter to waive Building Department fees for repairs to structures that were damaged due to Hurricane Sandy.
SECTION 1. LEGISLATIVE INTENT AND FINDINGS OF FACT.
A. Findings of Fact.
On October 29, 2012, Hurricane Sandy hit the region causing damage to structures. Structures in the Village of Tarrytown were damaged due to the hurricane and those structures require repair which must be processed through the Village’s Building Department. There is currently no mechanism available to the Board of Trustees to waive the fees normally charged for repair work by the Building Department for the repair work associated with Hurricane Sandy. The Board is desirous of creating such a mechanism to waive Building Department fees.
B. Legislative Intent.
The Board of Trustees believes that it is important to waive the Building Department fees associated with damage caused by Hurricane Sandy to help to alleviate ongoing costs incurred by property owners due to the hurricane.
Material to be deleted appears in parenthesis [ ], material to be added is in bold Typeface.
SECTION 2. WAIVER OF BUILDING DEPARTMENT FEES
- The Board of Trustees does hereby waive all fees charged by the Building Department and payable to the Village of Tarrytown associated with repair work to structures in the Village that were damaged by Hurricane Sandy. Any fees charged and payable to entities other than the Village of Tarrytown relating to said repair work shall not be waived.
- The applicant, submitting an application to the Building Department for damage related repair work, shall provide proof sufficient to the Building Inspector that the damage for which an application is being submitted was caused by the declared disaster.
SECTION 3. RETROACTIVE WAIVER OF FEES
Due to the timing required to adopt a Local Law associated with the waiver of Building Department fees, the waiver of the Building Department fees shall be retroactive for damage repairs caused by Hurricane Sandy.
SECTION 4. EFFECTIVE DATE
This local law shall take effect immediately, as provided by law.
All interested parties are invited to attend and be heard. Access to the meeting room is available to the elderly and the handicapped. Signing is available for the hearing-impaired; a request must be made to the Village Clerk at least five days in advance of the meeting.
BY ORDER OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE VILLAGE OF TARRYTOWN
And tonight's full agenda:
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Miscellaneous and Liaison Reports
- Changes and/or Additions to the Agenda
- Village Administrator’s Report
- Public Hearing – Waiver of Building Department Fees
- Opportunity for the Public to Address the Board Only on Agenda Items. Speakers shall have three (3) minutes to address the Board of Trustees.
- Resolution – Fire Department Membership Changes
- Award a Bid for Lighting, Lighting Controls and Services Project
- Tax Certiorari – Manor House Properties LLC
- Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees held on December 3, 2012
- Approval of Audited Vouchers
- Opportunity for the Public to Address the Board. Speakers have five (5) minutes before yielding to the next speaker; then three (3) minutes for additional comments